RSS

RORY MCILROY IN BITING FORM TO STORM THE ISLAND

RORY McILROY has got the bug for PGA Championship glory at storm-drenched Kiawah Island in South Carolina.
There have been five weather stoppages so far this week before a shot has been fired in anger today, on the course lying just south of the island of Fort Sumter, scene of the start of the American Civil War.
And if the persistent storms are not enough, there are alligator- infested ponds, including one which is home to a 6ft beast guarding the 17th green, plus biting mosquitoes.
“We’re getting eaten alive by the insects which isn’t very nice,” said McIlroy. “I’ve been spraying all sorts of insect repellent on my arms and face just to ward them off.
“I’m also feeling the heat, everyone is. It’s hot and humid out there.”

McIlroy is competing in his fourth PGA Championship having finished tied third in both 2009 and 2010 – when he was just one shot off the play-off at Whistling Straits – and reckons his game is in just as good shape this week.

“I got off to a good start at The Open and fell away again, so if I could finish with a good one here this week I would be a lot happier,” he said.
“Also there’s the anticipation of wanting to do well as it’s the last Major of the season, and the next Major after this week is about nine months away at Augusta.
“But I am inspired by the way I played last week at the Bridgestone, and if I can bring that form into this week and hit the ball well, then I should fare better than I have in the other three Majors this year.”
McIlroy was also among nine players who were asked to meet European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal on Tuesday night. Lee Westwood, who did not arrive here until late on Tuesday, could not make it – but the invitation did not extend to Ian Poulter (12th in the points table), Thomas Bjorn (15th) or Padraig Harrington (20th).


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment