RSS

GOLF news 12BET update 12/23


Dyson eyes Ryder Cup berth

Simon Dyson is targeting a place on the European Ryder Cup team after narrowly missing out on the 2010 event at Celtic Manor.


The 34-year-old has made great strides over the past few years and won twice on the European Tour this year, with victory in the Irish Open and Holland's KLM Open.

He is currently 16th in the Ryder Cup points list and 28th in the world rankings with every chance that both of those positions will improve if he continues to progress in 2012.

The York-born star just missed out on qualification for Colin Montgomerie's side last time out, who went on to regain the trophy in Wales by the narrowest of margins.

Dyson feels he is now a better player than 12 months ago and is hoping that his performances over the next seven or eight months can end in a place in Europe's elite 12 to face the USA on their own patch.

"I think I've improved from last year and if I can just keep doing what I'm doing, then I've got a very good chance," he told BBC Radio York. "I'm not going to beat myself up about it trying to get in it, I'm just going to let my golf do the talking."

Dyson finished in a tie for ninth at the Open Championship and won more than 1.6m euros in 2011 but the Manchester resident insists he is more concerned with winning titles and making the Ryder Cup team than amassing huge prize funds.

"If I keep playing how I have done for the last three months, if I don't get in it, they'll have a very strong side. If I do, fantastic," he added.

"It's not really about the money for me. It's about trying to achieve as much as I can. I've had six wins now which is pretty good." - http://www.setanta.com


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment